Monday, June 18, 2012

Happy Father's Day Jeff

6/18/2012

Happy Father's Day Jeff!

In case you're confused, Jeff is not my father - he is, however, the father to my sons and as such should be celebrated if for no other reason than putting up with all the family nonsense for the past 38 years!

This Father's Day was spent with Benjamin (grandson) and his parents.  We went out to Virginia to look at their new home that is being built.  Then we had lunch at a place called Andy's (coincidence that is also the name of Benjamin's father).  Lunch was lovely and the nice part of having weight loss surgery is that there are always "tovers" (as my boys call them) for my lunch the next day.  

The sun and stars must have been aligned on Sunday because right across - and I do mean right across - the street was an antique store - and it was open.  Talk about serendipity.  I love going through antique stores and taking in the rush of memories that come to me just by walking around and seeing and touching things from my childhood.

Truth time.  I find it nearly impossible to enter an antique store and not leave with some new uncovered treasure that will now make my life complete - until next time.

My first find was a delicate bone china cup decorated with the most exquisite flowers that will match my ever present lipstick ring around the rim!  People I simply had to have that - no price tag - no problem.  How much could a cup cost? By the end of the day that cup cost plenty believe me.

Oh my there was also a glass perfume bottle that was calling out to me. Clear crystal with dark purple inserts and the stopper was a fan - gorgeous.  Okay that bottle did have a  price tag on it but I thought that if I talked fast Jeff might not notice that a perfume bottle that will never be used for anything but collecting dust cost $22.00.  But it was practically a bargain and I couldn't leave with just a cup.  After all we're talking about my reputation as a shopper.

In the last room  I see her.  A mahogany china cabinet, glass doors on the top and drawers on the bottom.  When I opened the glass doors I could literally smell the prior generations of life that belonged to this cabinet.  The men say it smells more like an old cabinet that has been closed up for a long time.  But what do they know?  Believe it or not, some inanimate objects "talk" to me and this beautiful cabinet was screaming my name and it was on SALE.  You can't just leave furniture like this behind.  Lucky for me Jeff is used to my "talking objects" and he also loves old furniture (which is a very good thing). The store owner even gave us a price reduction  on top of the sale price - so it was a bargain, mostly. 

By the time Jeff paid for the cabinet and the perfume bottle the measly $3.00 for the cup was just a round off error.   We didn't have our truck with us so we have to return this weekend and pick up our new cabinet.  I promise I'll be good and won't look around the store - well unless the owner tells me that she has brought in some new stock and then I might just have to take a peak!

Happy Father's Day Jeff.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...