Thursday, June 7, 2012

Buying a Plane


6/7/2012
 
“You bought a what?”  I was practically screaming at my husband who had just announced casually, as if he had just bought a newspaper, that he was now the proud owner of an airplane.

I sat in the living room stunned to my very core trying to imagine what kind of mid-life crisis he must be going through to do something so – well - stupid for lack of a better word. 

“Okay mister just exactly how are we going to pay for this plane?” 

With very little hesitation on his part, my husband announced cheerfully, “I’ll rent it out to other pilots.”

“Really – that’s your plan?”

“It’s a good plan you’ll see.  Pilots will pay us good money to use the plane.  Not everybody can own a brand new one.”

“Are you saying what I think you’re saying?  That not only did you go out and buy a plane, but you bought a brand new one?”

My husband puffed out his chest with pride.  “And she’s a beauty.”

I exhaled slowly to calm myself down because I wasn’t sure that a jury of my peers would find me not guilty if I murdered him as he sat in his favorite chair.  Once I could breath again, I ever so politely asked, “So how much?”

“Oh you mean the plane.  It was a bargain really.”

With dripping sarcasm I replied, “They have sales on planes do they?  Or perhaps the plane is missing some key item – like an engine.”

My husband laughed at my even thinking that the plane might be less than perfect.  “No, no, nothing like that.  Just the manufacturer is coming out with the next year’s model so buying this year’s model is very economical.”

I snorted in reply, “You seem to be avoiding the question.  So let me get those dots real close together for you – HOW MUCH?”  And yes I did scream out those last two words.

“Well let me begin by saying…”

I cut my husband off before he could even continue.  “Just give me the number and do it now before I put an axe in your head.”

“Okay, okay.  Settle down.  It's a gift for you (sort of) and you never put a price on a gift."

I couldn't help but smile at how slyly he had avoided the question - gotta love him.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...