Sunday, June 10, 2012

New Challenges and Successes

6/10/12

Readers:  For most of my adult life I've been somewhat of a "Nervous Nell" and my friends and family know that  I don't go out of my way to find new things to do.  Most of the time I like my daily, somewhat boring, routine.

A few weeks ago while Jeff was doing a Hero Flight which is flying disabled veterans for free.  That day Jeff was taking a veteran and his father to Michigan.  Jeff, and I believe all pilots, really enjoy these flights and giving back to these wounded soldiers.

Since it was a three day weekend we got out of work at 2:00.  I came home, grabbed the paper and saw that there was a 4:55 pm movie.  And folks, I decided to go!  It is a wonder that the earth didn't stop just at the mere thought.

I got to the theater a little early by oh 30 minutes or so; but, I am compulsively early - can't help myself.  I was going to watch that new Marigold Hotel movie with Judi Dench.  I sat down and joined the other 5 women (all about my age) who also  seemed to be on their own.  

Now I admit it was a bit creepy to go to a movie by myself.  I can't even say why.  Maybe creepy is the wrong word - perhaps odd would be better.  You don't have anybody to whisper to during the good parts and there's nobody to share your popcorn.  Had to eat that all by myself!!  I have NEVER gone to a movie by myself and I'm unsure whether it will happen again; but I went and I'm glad that I did.  My friends were shocked and frankly so was I.  By my standards, it was a bold move.  The movie was great, it's like an Eat, Pray, Love movie for seniors.

After the movie I challenged myself even further.  I went to Five Guys and ordered myself a tiny hamburger to go.  I couldn't sit inside and eat my hamburger, partly because the noise level from the teens made my head ring. The other reason, the primary reason, is I didn't want to eat alone in public. So I'm taking baby steps.  Stay posted in case I suffer from another attack of "adventure-itis" (made up word but I like it).


P


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...