Thursday, June 28, 2012

Some Oldies but Goodies

6/28/2012

Some Oldies but Goodies

When I don’t have anything else to think (worry) about, I then have to find things to think (worry) about.  Yesterday, my brain was sitting on idle and I sat down figuratively pen and paper and made a list of things that I remember that either aren’t around anymore or are no longer the “norm” - whatever the heck that is anymore.  Maybe you can add a few oldies of your own to the list:

Oleo
Harassment in the workplace
45, 33 and 78 rpm
American Bandstand and Dick Clark
No air conditioning in the car
Crank down windows in the car
Wind-Wings - perfect place for Dad to blow out his cigarette smoke
Listening to Gunsmoke on the radio
Hanging your clothes out to dry
1960’s beehive hairdos
Rolodexes - the desk kind
Typewriters (they are still around but not everybody knows what to do with them)
Shorthand (a dying art)
Lawrence Welk
See the USA in your Chevrolet Show with Dinah Shore
The Loretta Young Show
Queen for a Day
Dark Shadows
Laugh In
Father Knows Best
Lassie
Lindy pens (my favorites: gold and turquoise)
Double feature movies
Bobby Sox
Petticoats - now called slips
Letters – now referred to as snail mail, which nobody uses anymore
Going steady and wrapping his ring in angora yarn so it fit
Pen pals
Kingston Trio
Peter, Paul & Mary
Radioactive red Fiesta Ware
Liquid saccharin -ick
Metrecal - double ick
Real princess phones installed by the phone man!
Full service gas stations
Carbon paper
Baby oil mixed with iodine for a real quick and dark tan
Black and white television
Stockings or nylons instead of pantyhose
Handbags instead of purses
Icebox instead of refrigerator

Enjoy the memories

P

2 comments:

  1. typos - it is "wind wings" and "Father Knows Best"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picky picky - at least you knew what I was talking about!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...