Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Manual Typewriters

12/8/2015

For those of us who are of a "certain" age, we can still remember learning to type on a manual typewriter.  If you're not familiar with a manual typewriter, then you wouldn't have the same appreciation with electric typewriters came along.

When typing on a manual typewriter, it does take some strength for your little fingers to press down the "a" and "p" keys.  Overtime we ended up with pretty strong pinkies!

Do you remember having to stop at the end of a line and press the carriage return arm back to the left?  Typewriters, whether manual or electric, made short work of some things we now have to deal with - and not always successfully!

Type on a 3x5 card - no problem.  Filling out a form was quick and easy and you didn't have to fuss with trying to get the right data on the right line!  I can't even begin to count how many recipes I typed on those index cards over the years.  Still have most of them in a box, even though I have now put them all in the computer.

Labels, back in the day, came on a roll which sat inside a box.  You simply put the first label in the typewriter and typed away.  While I love my computer and spend a fair amount of time sitting in front of it, it's not quite the same as a typewriter.  Although, unlike most keyboards that don't make that beautiful click-clack sound, Jeff has set me up with an IBM keyboard that does make that sound.  I've always been a fast typer (don't think that's a word) and some keyboards used during a job interview were sluggish and didn't always keep pace.  When you take typing all through your junior high and high school years, you get quite good at it.

In the closet upstairs is a Selectric typewriter.  The heavy kind that IBM made before going to a much lighter version.  You wouldn't want to drop that old Selectric on your foot!

Though I no longer work, I still type every day.  My blog of course, but also to do research about something I'm interested in.  I chase down recipes I want to try, get movie reviews, scan the news or follow some interesting article that shows up from time-to-time on Facebook.

I can't imagine a time when I won't have a keyboard in front of me, just waiting for me to put down my pearls of wisdom or more likely stuff and nonsense!

I also remember that when a secretary left the office for the day, she always covered up the typewriter as well as the adding machine with plastic covers.

Today is national brownie day. Now that's a "holiday" I could definitely get into.

 P


Image result for picture of manual typewriter



No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...