Monday, December 14, 2015

Selling on Craigslist

12/14/2015

I have never had much success selling anything on Craigslist.  While whatever you're selling might be in great or even excellent condition, the buyer wants a bargain.  You have to price your item accordingly, that is priced to sell.

You may have spent hundreds of dollars on something, but when it comes to selling it, no matter what price you list, the buyer will and want to negotiate for a lesser price.  You can, of course, hold steady to your price, or you can give up and take a lesser amount of money.  It kind of depends on what you're selling and how much you want said item to be out of your house.

Before I attempt to sell anything on Craigslist, I go the appropriate category and see what similar items are selling for.  I also notice that some items are there week after week.  Either the seller really believes that his "x" item is worth that much money, or doesn't really want to sell it in the first place.

When I was selling some of Benjamin's toys, like his play kitchen and play food, I had priced those things fairly, or so I thought.  When the buyer came to the house, she literally nit-picked through the plastic and wooden food.  She eventually bought the kitchen and some of the food, but even at $20.00 or so for the food, she wanted a lesser price.  I stood my ground because a lot of the food was wooden from Melissa and Doug, who make beautiful high end toys.

Currently, I'm trying to sell a Britax car seat.  No stains or tears and used only occasionally by Benjamin.  If you're not familiar with a Britax car seat, they take up a lot of room and I'd like to see it gone.  Since my success ratio on Craigslist isn't very good, I'm not sure I'll be able to sell the car seat!

If I really wanted it gone, I could: (a) list it for free, when I paid $300 for it; or (b) donate it to Purple Heart or some other charity.

I have received an email from somebody interested in the car seat, so we'll see if she send me another email, asking to come by and see it.  Fingers crossed here folks.

Today is monkey day, so if you are the proud owner of a monkey - celebrate!

P


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...