Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Happy December

12/1/2015

I don't know about you, but it seems as if the year has hurried by.  Maybe that's because I'm older.  When I was a child, and waiting for Santa, the days in December dragged on and on.  Now they seem to zip by.

Today is the second day of rain, and outside is dreary and gray.  This is not a good combination for me.  To compensate, somewhat, I have turned on my "Happy Light", which tries to imitate sunshine.  When it's gloomy outside, it's hard for me, and perhaps you, to remain positive and upbeat.

Saturday is the annual Holly Run for local pilots.  There is a small island in the bay only accessed by boat or plane.  The village is mostly made up of fishermen and it's clear that the people don't have a lot of money.  Each plane that goes on Saturday will bring much needed and appreciated school supplies.  Some planes will carry holly, which can't be grown on the island.  And finally, the jet will carry Santa with his toys.

I have been on the Holly Run in the past.  The children line up along the fence waiting for the planes to arrive.  This is a feel good mission for everybody.  This year, Stacey and Benjamin are going on the Holly Run, and I'll stay home.  I have to get out to buy school supplies, but I'll wait until it's not raining.  You know I'm made out of sugar - and I don't want to melt away!

This is also my birthday month.  The rest of you who have birthdays in the other eleven months, have a birthday.  I get a whole month.  My birthday is just before Christmas and I didn't have birthday parties growing up.  Mom told me that nobody wanted to have a party so close to Christmas.  As a child I pretended that it made sense.  As an adult, I can see that it did not.  My birthday present was always under the tree, wrapped in Christmas paper.  

Yesterday, I mailed out the 4A (boys' computer company) cards.  One hundred of them to be exact.  I went to the post office early in the morning and because it was a weekday, was able to get the stamps I needed quickly.  I stuck them on the envelopes and was out of the post office in record time.  So that job has now been checked off my list.

The Christmas presents I have ordered are starting to arrive.  Since Benjamin and Stacey might be at the house on Saturday, I'll have to make sure that they are either: (a) wrapped; or (b) put away.  I love the hunt for presents for people.  I hate wrapping, always have.  When the boys were teenagers I sometimes used packing tape to close up the box that their presents came in.  Being boys, they didn't care if their presents were wrapped or not.  

Today is national pie day!  Yummy.

P




No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...