Monday, January 18, 2016

Snow

1/18/2016

It snowed here yesterday.  It didn't snow a lot and there was no accumulation.  Snow is predicted for Friday and Saturday and so far the weathermen say there will be inches (thankfully not feet) of snow.  

When snow is predicted, I have to fight down the panic that rises inside me.  I can't even explain what I'm panicked about.  When the boys were young, the panic was were the schools going to be closed, or delayed?  Later, it was would the office be closed for the day, have a delayed opening or the option of using a vacation day.

When I was working and the weather was bad, Jeff would drive me back and forth to work.  I don't drive in bad weather if I can avoid it.  And believe me, I avoid it as much as possible.  This is good for me as well as other drivers.

While the snow fell quietly yesterday, and I was sitting in front of the fireplace, I should have felt at peace.  But, that was not the case.  I walked from window to window.  Was I really thinking or hoping that the view would change from the front of the house to the back of the house?

Yesterday, I had no where to be, and aside from laundry, had nothing much that needed to be done.  And yet, even knowing that everything was right in my world, I was restless and on edge.  

Just knowing that there is going to be or perhaps might be, snow on Friday, will cause me to cancel my dentist appointment.  Since I really hate going to the dentist, I see no reason to go out in possibly bad weather to have some cavities filled.  Of course, I know that I am always looking for any excuse not to go to the dentist!

Jeff and perhaps I will go to the store today, along with all of the other "the sky is falling" shoppers.  Do we need much?  Milk and eggs for sure, because those two items, along with toilet paper, are always on everyone's list of snow necessities.  Once in the store, we'll obviously buy other things, but not because we actually need anything.  Just following the rest of the people, who, unlike us, don't have a pantry and chest freezer full of food.  It's panic shopping and happens to the best of us.

If things get really dicey at the end of this week, and we do get an accumulation of snow, we have no fear.  Why?  Because the Ox is home and running better than ever.  The Ox which sits high enough that there would have to be a lot of snow for her/him to get bogged down.  Plus, the Ox is four wheel drive, which is mighty helpful if you need a little extra help maneuvering down the road.

When I look back at what I've just typed, I have no earthly idea why I feel panic at even the suggestion of snow.  Guess that's just who I am.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...