Wednesday, January 13, 2016

State of the Union Address

1/13/2016

If you fear that I'm going to start being politically minded, no need to worry.  I'm not writing about the speech, or enter into a debate over which political party is best.  

No, I'm writing about what was going on during the speech.  If I was going to be sitting to the right of the President, and visible through much of the speech, I think I'd have opted to wear a longer skirt.  Who wants to sit on a chair with your legs clamped together for an hour?  

I saw politicians texting on their phones.  In my humble opinion, I think that's rude.  Politicians are paid a lot of money, and I think that for one hour a year, they could put their phones away.  But heck what do I know?

One photographer took a picture of a woman (not her face) sitting with crossed legs and her skirt riding above the knee.  What was the point of that picture?  People were writing and I hope that they were just making notes about the speech, and not doing something else, like a crossword puzzle perhaps?

I love when we get a scan of the room.  I love seeing the rare pops of color on women among the solemn dark suits of men.  And red seems to be the preferred color of ties for men.

Jeff and I watch the President speak, but go to bed immediately after.  We aren't particularly interested in the "post-speech" opinions.

What we do know, is that this is the Presidents year of the "lasts".  His last summer vacation as President, the last of state dinners, and the last of meeting with dignitaries from other countries.  He will have one more Christmas at the White House, which I'm sure will be bittersweet for the President and his family.

When I read today's paper, I'm sure I'll find an article or two, addressing, or perhaps attacking, the President's speech last night.  

The first state of the union speech was delivered by George Washington on January 8, 1790.  His speech was seven pages long.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...