Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Worst Cooks in America

1/6/2016

If you haven't watched this show - you should.  Why?  For the simple reason that even if you're not at a chef level for making dishes, you're bound to be better than these cooks.  I promise you that is a true statement.

I've been cooking since I was a teenager and I don't make fancy food.  With boys at home, cooking was all about quantity first and quality second.  My one pot wonders where I threw all sorts of ingredients into a pan, cooked them and voila - dinner, were always a hit.  I still do some one pot dishes now too, but the quantity of food has gone way down.

I feel really sorry for these cooks on the show.  They don't know how to cut up anything, can't identify the most basics of food, start fires on the stove and apparently you can burn water!  

One cook maked a ramen burrito inside the bag.  He adds hot water and the seasoning packet and then rolls the bag up and wraps it in a paper towel.  He then takes his burrito-shaped food and puts weight on top, a heavy pan for instance.  When it's "done", he unwraps the bag and out comes a perfectly formed ramen burrito.  Amazing, I just don't know that it's something I want to try.

The cooks can't identify vegetables and are generally clueless about how to use the equipment - both manual and electric.  When I watch this show, the thinking I have about my own cooking goes up ten fold!

By my rough calculations over the past 41 years I have cooked over 14,000 dinners.  That's a lot of cooking, and it might explain why I seem to have lost interest in preparing meals.  I mean how many ways can you cook a chicken.  I know the answer is a lot, but when I'm faced with chicken and need to put dinner on the table, I can only come up with the same-o, same-o recipes.  Bake, barbecue, or make it into a soup.  Believe me, I know there are many other things you can do with chicken, I just don't readily think about new dishes!

Today is National Take Down Your Christmas Tree Day.  It is also cuddle up day and shortbread day.

Hope it's sunny where you are, because it certainly is here.

P


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...