Friday, January 8, 2016

Weather or Whether

1/8/2016

The weather today can best be described as a "Debby Downer" day.  I'm sitting with my SAD light on hoping that the synthetic sunlight will help me or better yet keep me from getting gloomy.  This is the kind of day where you want to get a book (i.e., a Kindle), blanket, coffee and sit in front of the fireplace.  And I'm pretty sure I'll do that at some point today, but after blogging there are a few chores that need doing.  

I have to make my bed everyday.  This particularly job/chore has been a part of my life since a child.  I didn't leave for school with a messy bed.  I'm no longer a child (duh), but I hate coming back into the bedroom at bedtime seeing a rumbled bed.  It's just not that inviting.

Secondly, I have to tidy up the kitchen.  I have to put dishes in the dishwasher, which is an easy chore.  The hard part about the dishwasher for me is that I don't want to put away the clean dishes.  Space permitting, I'll leave a few things in the dishwasher for days at a time.  I know, I know, I can be a sloth on occasion.  The dishes have yet to complain about being washed up time after time!  And the cupboards aren't yelling at me to bring back those bowls and plates.  When I leave measuring cups in the dishwasher, when I need to use one, I know exactly where they are.  Why rummage through a drawer, when you can simply reach into the dishwasher and voila produce a measuring cup. It's all about time management people.  But when I think about it, I don't need time management anymore.  I'm retired and the one thing that I have a lot of is - say it with me - time!  How I choose to use that time becomes the bigger question or problem.

I was invited to go to a movie with a friend today, but after looking at the movie listings, I opted to save my $20.00 (because you can't see a movie without popcorn and coke) until some new movie comes along worth (or almost worth) my money.  Besides it's yucky and rainy outside and since everyone knows I'm made out of sugar, if I venture outside, I'll melt like the bad witch in the "Wizard of Oz"!

I've made my decision as to whether I should go to the movie in this weather and the answer is nope.  Another advantage of being retired is, that the weather outside doesn't have much of an impact on your life.  This is especially important when snow and/or ice arrives.  During a snowstorm, I would fret all day long about whether I should have tried to go to work or stay home.  I'm not suggesting that I will not panic/worry when it starts to snow.  I think by now that my dentist and doctor (shrink) know that I won't venture out if it's snowed.  It's just who I am, and frankly, you all don't want me out on the highway during bad weather.

Some historical events:

1835 The United States national debt is 0 for the first and only time.
1925  1st all-female US state supreme court appointed, Texas
1954  Elvis Presley pays $4 to a Memphis studio & records his 1st two songs, "Casual Love" & "I'll Never Stand in Your Way"
1974 Loch Ness monster "photographed"!
1987  Dow Jones closes above 2,000 for 1st time (2,002.25)

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...